Halawet El Jeben is a popular Lebanese dessert in Lebanon, Syria and Jordan. This pastry is rolled and stuffed with cheese or thick milk cream and served with Atar syrup.
If you are interested in watching your scale, you can always grab a small piece of this delicious dessert as it contains only 62 calories.
Here is an easy recipe from shahiya.com
You will need:
• 250 g akkawi cheese, white 250 g white braided cheese 1 cup water 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 cup semolina 1/2 cup ferkha flour 1/4 cup orange blossom water (mazahr) 1/4 cup rosewater 1 kg fresh cream, or kashta
• For syrup: 2 cups sugar 1 cup water 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 tablespoon orange blossom water 1 tablespoon rose water
• For Decoration: orange blossom pistachios ground
To prepare the syrup, stir the sugar and water in a pot over heat.
2. When it starts to boil, add lemon juice and leave until it thickens. Then add orange blossom water and rose water, remove syrup from heat and set aside to cool.
3. Cut the akkawi cheese and braided cheese and soak them in water. Remember to change water every 2 hours. Strain the cheese.
4. In a pot over heat, mix the sugar, semolina and ferkha flour with water; stir well using a wooden spoon.
5. Add the strained cheese pieces to the mixture and pour the orange blossom water and rose water over them. Stir until the cheese melts and the mixture becomes sticky dough.
6. Brush 2 nylon sheets with water. Place one of them on a flat surface, spread the dough over it and cover it with the other nylon sheet. Then use a rolling pin to spread the dough so it becomes relatively thin.
7. Remove the nylon sheets from both sides of the dough, and cut it into 10 x 8 cm strips. Place one strip vertically, put 1 tablespoon of cream on the bottom part and close the edges around it then roll the strip up. Repeat process for all the dough strips.
8. 9. Arrange the filled rolls in a serving dish and decorate with cream and pistachio. Serve with the syrup.
Halawet El Jeben is one of the most popular desserts at Al-Amir. Do remember to relish the dessert when you dine with us next time.
Posted by: Al Amir Cuisine